Wouldn’t it be so good if you could solve some network problems of your own? Using the ping command to test the WiFi connection is hence, a very good thing. Ping is such a network administration tool that is used to test the connectivity of any IP network. It means that ping is a network administration utility that can test the connection of any internet network. It can also measure the speed by which one computer can transfer files to another computer. Apart from that, the measurement of latency or delay between two computers is also done by ping.
How to use the ping command to test the WiFi connection?
Every operating system has a different command-line interface. It is the same command-line interface that will allow you to run the Ping command. Virtually, the working of ping command is the same for all operating systems. Internally, of course, it differs from one OS to another.
- All you need to do is open the command prompt or terminal. Then,
- You can open the command prompt by clicking on the start button and entering “cmd” while on the start screen. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, directly type “cmd” while on the start menu. The command prompt will only launch after you click the enter button.
- *If you are a Mac user, you would have to open the terminal. In order to open the terminal, firstly open the applications folder. After having done so, you would find a folder called “utility”.
- *In case you are using Linux, open a Telnet/Terminal window. This type of window will be available in the accessories folder in the applications directory.
- After that, type “ping” which must be followed by an IP address or any website address. Some very commonly used ping commands are given below:
1. ping– 192.168.1.1 This type of ping command is called a loopback ping. The loopback ping basically means if the computer is trying to talk with itself.
There are chances that the loopback step might fail. This might be because the TCP drivers are corrupted and not working. Chances are, the network adapter is not working or simply another service might be interfering.
2. ping- This command is used to ping the IP address of any device. It might be a local computer, remote server, or anything. A client can also receive an IP address which would verify that one can communicate with the device properly. Example: ping 192.168.1.1.
3. ping- This is the command which is used for checking the Internet connectivity and the functionality of DNS. Like, ping www.netgear.com is an example of using the ping command to test a WiFi connection.
If you are successful with your ping test, you will receive replies from the command. If all the packets sent are received back, it shows that the computer is online and the Internet connection is stable. Sometimes if you have pinged with an IP address, it might not work properly. Retry it using a hostname to check that the IP address you tried is correct or not. If it is correct, there might be some problem with your command elsewhere.
configure Dynamic DNS router
Configuring a dynamic DNS router is very essential. . It is a system of updating a name server in the Domain Name System (DNS). The idea of DDNS was very good research. In the initial stages of the Internet (ARPANET), hosts of any network were addressed by IP addresses. Static translation tables were made and mapped manually in the form of the host file. The IP address assigned to a particular host rarely changed which was not at all a good feature.
Four of the numbers remain divided by points and they are unique. The IP address is used to identify a computer on a network. It does not matter how much is your Internet size, you would definitely have a separately assigned IP. The DDNS service provides remote access to these IPs. Any device connected to the network has an IP and DDNS gives us complete access to it. Many provide DDNS services. These actually run the software which updates the DDNS service.
How to configure Dynamic DNS router?
Step 1: Log in to the router via the default gateway address.
Step 2: After you reach the login page, enter your router credentials. The router credentials mean the username and password which you need to enter to log in. The default username and password assigned to different router companies are different. If you haven’t configured your password and username, they will remain default. Some of the most common router companies and their router credentials are:
Device Username Password
Netgear admin password
Linksys admin admin
Asus admin admin
Draytek admin admin
ZyXEL admin 1234
TP-Link admin admin
TRENDnet admin admin
Belkin admin (leave blank)
The router credentials are also present on a sticker at the bottom of the router.
Step 3: After logging in, you will reach the home page of your router’s configuration. Find out the dynamic DNS settings from the webpage. Typically, this option will be under the “advanced” section. Click on “advanced” and then on DDNS or dynamic DNS.
Step 4: On the DDNS page, there will be an option to select your service provider. Select “No-IP”. After that, enter your No-IP username and password. Having done so, enter your hostname or domain which you have already created. There will be an empty field named “hostname/domain”, you should enter that.
Step 5: Wait for your hostname to receive an update. You
can check for it by logging into your no-ip.com account. . This is the place
where you can configure your Dynamic DNS router. Then
click on Modify. The “Modify” option will be next to your hostname. After clicking
on “Modify”, you need to set your hostname IP address to 18.104.22.168 and then click
on update hostname.
Once you have updated the hostname, restart your router. After restarting, again login to your no-ip.com account and click on dynamic DNS. Your public IP address must be shown. If it does, then you are successful with your setup and your DDNS is working perfectly.